Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Translation Standards

So...I just re-read an email from a friend from Greece regarding translation standards and thought I'd bring up the topic, hoping to inspire a dialogue.
For those unfamiliar with the issue, it deals with the development of standard ways of translating from a foreign language into English (in this case, from Greek).
One of the main questions is whether or not to use the latinization of Greek words (Anthony or Antony or Antonios? Nectarios or Nektarios?) Another issue is whether or not one should adopt Western ecclesiastical terminology (should το μυστήριο be translated "the sacrament" or "the mysterion" or "the mystery"?)
What other issues are there that are related to translation standards? Where do you stand on this issue and why? For non-Greek specific issues, what English style manual do you use?

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Taylor said...

I for one generally try to follow Cavarnos's recommendations in 'Orthodox Christian Terminology', not because I take his opinions as gospel-truth, but because I always feel like some standard is better than no standard and I don't know of anyone else who as directly dealt with the issue at much length. I do however, stubbornly continue to use 'compline' for 'apodeipnon', Cavarnos's feelings aside.

5:55 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home